Catalyst Game Labs
an e-commerce platform and corporate website redesign
Catalyst Game Labs, a creator of immersive RPG experiences
Role: User research, Design lead, Development lead
Who they are: RPG game manufacturer and reseller
I learned more about: Personas, User Research and User flow
This was an interesting project. We needed to get a new e-commerce store up in a couple of months, which in itself isn’t a terribly large ask. But we also knew (once taking an inventory of their content) we’d be redesigning six of their other microsites as well as their corporate website. So we had to keep that in mind while we were working and making sure we were building components that we could easily implement into the other platforms once we got to that point.
I generally like to front-load my design process. That means gathering and synthesizing all the information I need from the client and other sources before I even put pen to paper. As with most of our other clients, amidst our many conversations, there was one that revolved solely around design. It’s a Design Discovery I came up with. It’s basically a series of questions that force the client to think about their brand in a way they maybe haven’t before. Getting them to answer these questions is imperative to the rest of my design process.
This gave us some good insight to what the client likes/dislikes what they’re competitors are doing and is really telling of their personal aesthetic. Read more about my process here.
After we figured out just what the client needed, it was time to focus on the users. We started by creating personas we thought accurately depicted Catalyst’s customers.
To have those users get to what they needed quickly and easily, they needed an optimized flow. We used the corporate site as their entry point (since we knew that even after the redesign, the site structure wouldn’t change much) and created the ideal flow to the e-commerce store and compared that to the current flow.
We knew what we needed to do. But we were working backwards. We knew we wanted customers to land on the store from one of those platforms and buy something but things were complicated because of the sheer number of platforms and our inability to change them at the time.
We then shifted our focus to visuals. Wireframing with pen and paper is always the first stop for me. We needed a few different standard e-commerce templates; product page, collection page and so on. So I sketched those out, keeping in mind what their customers would likely be looking for on each.
Once that was done, we got into some higher-fidelity teasers to show to the client while the site was in development.
After launch, we started measuring to figure out if what we launched actually resonated with customers and found some interesting stats.
During the last two days of November, Catalyst saw their sales increase by ~12% over the entire month of November in the previous year.
The increase in sales during December was even more dramatic. Sales more than tripled over the previous year.